Saturday, September 4, 2010

But who is Adesinacat?

::sneaks in the backdoor, trying to not be seen:: Yes, Virginia, there is another person who contributes to this blog. I am a busy mom and it is hard to find the time to sit down and blog about my knitting. I will try to post every now and again, and get photos up. Gotta love life. A little about myself: As you will see, I have two names in my user name. The other one, Constance Wyatt, is my SCA name. What is the SCA? The SCA, or Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc. is "an international organization dedicated to researching and re-creating the arts and skills of pre-17th-century Europe. Our "Known World" consists of 19 kingdoms, with over 30,000 members residing in countries around the world. Members, dressed in clothing of the Middle Ages and Renaissance, attend events which feature tournaments, royal courts, feasts, dancing, various classes & workshops, and more.” In other words, I am a geek. You know the song White & Nerdy by Weird Al? Yeah, not that bad, but there are days where it is a bit too close to home. What I do in the SCA is mostly heraldry. Think "family crests" which really, there is no such thing. You can inherit arms from your parents, but unless you are the Queen of England or some such status, your arms are completely your own. So, please, don't pay for those "family crests" stuff you see unless it is for a Scottish clan. As far as I am concerned, those are just scams unless they trace your genealogy at the same time, showing you the paperwork that proves that you are related to that person, and even still, that doesn't mean that you own those arms and... See? I told you I was a geek. I am mostly what we call a voice herald. See, there were no PA systems back then, so they counted on people trained in being loud. I am just one of those people. I have a pin (well I had a pin; keep losing it) that says "I left my inside voice at home." Most people tell me I don't have an inside voice. I do. I just don't use it very often. Anyways, if you would like to see my geek blog, you'll find it Here. Back to knitting. I am just starting to knit again. I tried knitting years ago and loved it, but couldn't find anything or anyone that could show me that I was twisting my stitches, how to decrease and other such stuff that you need to know to make something more than scarves in garter or stockinette stitch. This was way before YouTube or Ravelry. Also, the cost for yarn was out of my price range. Also before Knit Picks. Yes, there was acrylic yarn, but acrylic yarn makes me itch. Even the really, really, soft stuff. I know this cause I got two very soft, acrylic sweaters for christmas one year. I remember sitting in my second class in high school and itching so bad, I had to call my mom to please bring me another top cause I was going crazy. I have to wear a shirt under the stuff. Now, I have a ton of places to turn for help. Including my mom who took knitting up again after I quit. I say that she started back up cause of me, but she denies it. ;-) She is the reason though that I started again. While waiting for her to pick out what knitting books she wanted at a local book store, I picked up the books she was getting and started to drool of the pretties in the book and kept stating something along the lines of "mommy, please knit this for me and I will love you always," (big cute eyes were added too I think.) After I think the fifth (or was that thousandth) one just that day, she told me that I need to start knitting again cause there was no way she could make all the stuff I wanted her to make for me. I had been saying no cause money is still an issue so getting yarn is still an issue. I also wanted to keep to more "period arts," (yes, that is my nose in the air), so that I can do them at SCA events. But wait. Knitted socks are period. And so are hats? And sleeves? And bags? Well what the hell am I waiting for! I guess those old hand-me-down knitting needles will not go to waste after all. And my mom is a yarn whore, junky, addict, collector and was willing to share some of her "and remind me why I bought this(?)" yarn. Yes, mostly acrylic, but I wasn't going to wear some of the stuff I made. I have made a few things. A bag, some scarves, a pair of fingerless gloves, but mostly small stuff. I like mobile projects. Stuff I can grab and put in my, on the small side, purse. I have a bunch of stuff I want to make. Now just the time to sit and make them. AdesinaCat (on Ravelry. What? You don't have a Ravelry account? It's FREE!) Note: I have am not the best writer, and am a horrible speller. Yes, I do know the difference between then and than, but that doesn't mean I always remember. If you see bad spelling, please just ignore it and giggle. I'll bet Elianastar will try to make some corrections for me. (yes... she did.) :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment